Friday 15 April 2011

Goodnight Dad

Good evening folks
Sorry for the lack of blog. Today has been a sad day, but with a massive sense of relief I write this blog.
 Dad lost his fight for life, and peacefully left us just before 12 last night. He had battled on for more than 2 weeks, bless him, and for those of us seeing him begin to suffer, it was pure torture.
He had had a brain stem stroke, and from what we can deduce, it was severe. After nurse and doctor consultations we were aware of his plight – total paralysis from almost his chin down, but with the sensations of pain, and inability to cough and even swallow at times. He was a strong and brave man, but simply couldn’t hold on and after a very long 16 day beside vigil he slipped away just after we returned home for an hour or two, possibly preferring for us not to be there...who knows.
Dad only opened his eyes a little during the last few days, although I am sure he knew we were all there. Many, many friends and family came, and cried and said goodbye. At one point there were 8 young people (grandchildren, nieces etc) all leaving the ward in tears, and I felt proud when I saw the nurses looking, almost surprised at the army of ‘young-uns (as Dad would say) that had come to hold his hand.
Dad was my step father for 38 years. We had some tough times (me the rebel) and so, so many good memories for us all to look back on and smile. Dad was a bugger for DIY, and admittedly sometimes he was a ‘bit of a bodger’. Being very security conscious he always added extra bolts, latches, padlocks and booby traps but his most fabulous tools of choice where possible seemed to be blue tack, selotape and bits of wire! I am sure he is up there looking forward to fiddling in his heavenly shed, making something out of guttering, duct tape and copper pipe! 
These few days have brought friends and family close, and it’s been lovely to see people although you break your heart every time they walk in. In the grand scheme of things, you see, people are really the only important thing in life. What you have and have not isn’t important, its who you love and have in your life, for it is so short really.
Words can’t express how grateful we are to those wonderful staff of Ward 41, Coventrys Walsgrave Hospital. I know they see it every day, but they were truly beautiful people who made his visit full of love and dignity.
Dad is now reunited with my brother Steve, who left us 2 years ago, another great bloke who went too soon, and I am sure they are somewhere more tranquil dismantling something side by side now. I am not sure about religion, but I do think the soul is somewhere. People have such presence in life, such personality, it can’t simply die, they are all out there somewhere.
My priority now is to be strong for my Mum. She is (and those of you who know her, will agree) one of life’s true selfless people. Mum is a wonderful, happy, lovable, funny, inspirational woman who I can honestly say everybody loves. She has always been mum to all of my friends too, and now is a granny to many, as all the grand-children’s friends call her Granny Brenda too! If I turn out to be half of the woman she is, I shall be very happy. Mum is hurting so bad, but smiling on, with bleary eyes and an obviously heavy heart. She’s relieved but quietly empty. She is one in a million.
Well, enough now, much love to everyone in this mad world, I sign off by saying it’s been a tough week, Rest In Peace Dad, you are in a better place now. I will look after Mum, til we all meet again one day.

Love Sue xxxx

9 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that you are all going through this. The photo of your Dad made me smile, he had such cheery "huggable" face!
    Do what ever you have to do...never feel guilty about grieving because grief is the price we pay for love, and I can see that you loved your Dad very much indeed. I'm sending you a big hug from a Coventry kid in Canada.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much for your lovely words. its therapy to blog, i think. and meeting up with nice people on here makes me smile too, so thank you for taking the time to read and post. Off to bed now, try catch up on some much needed sleep, got a square butt from the hospital chair! nighty night xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a beautiful and moving post, what a wonderful Dad you had♥ I'm so sorry Sue, my heart goes out to you, your family and especially your Mum. Jane was spot on with the description of your Dad's cheery huggable face:) I have to admit I cried heaps when I read this as it brought back memories of losing my own Dad, 16 years ago. My thoughts and prayers to you all♥ Linda, Australia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post for your Dad and Mum. As Jane said he looks so 'huggable' and full of the joys of life. So very sad that you have lost him, but lovely that so many of the family were able to visit and say their goodbyes to such a special man.

    My heart goes out to you, your family and especially to your Mum who must be desolate without her soulmate.

    He will be there, with your brother, watching over you all and getting SO frustrated when your DIY skills don't match his own. You should always add an extra bolt or bit of wire in his honour!!

    Lots of love and prayers are winging over to you from me and all on the farm.

    Take care.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful tribute to your lovely DAD. [DAD IN THE TRUE SENSE OF THE WORD].So very sorry for you and your lovely family.
    You are already most definately your mother's caring daughter. We are blessed with [sue15cat]. our daughter and a lovely caring son. Lean on to each other. Love and prayers to you and all family and friends that are greiving with you;

    [Not what we gain but what we give measures the worth of the life we live .]

    This saying came to mind as I followed your so sad weeks Love Joanxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. To dear sue and auntie Brenda
    sorry to hear the very sad news that uncle Barry has passed away, he was and always will be a much loved man and father to all that knew him, always remember the good times just like i will love to you all, our prayers go with you love always

    Karen, Bob, Becky and Dan Evans xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm teared up and very sorry for your loss. Stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so very much you lovely people for your support and kind words. I blubber every time I read your comments, there are clearly some very nice people in blog land ! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. RIP. So sorry to hear of your loss. I cried at the lovely words you wrote on your blog about your dad. Take care and my thoughts are with you xx

    ReplyDelete